TOPIC: BIBLICAL PARENTING
Scripture: Ephesians 6: 4. And, ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.
Beloved I welcome you to another Moment of Daily Encounter! Our world has developed various methods of parenting!
Some according to culture and tradition, some according to psychology, others tend to repeat the same cycle that was used to raise them whether wrong or right.
This explains why those who were raised under cruel and bitter parents tends to be bitter, cruel and maltreat whoever lives under their care.Today, we shall however, look at it from the lens of the word of God which of course is the Bible.
Please note the following truths about parenting:
1. God is the owner of any child that comes through you;
Ezekiel 18: 4. Behold, all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: the soul that sinneth, it shall die.
Psalm 24: 1. The earth is the LORD’s, and the fullness thereof; the world, and they that dwell therein.
The idea that, ”this is my child”, “that is not my child”, shouldn’t come up because, even the very one you claim is your own is still owned by God.
We are therefore managers of God’s heritage. That’s why, how we manage them matters a lot.
2. Understand that different ages have its characteristic need. The training needs of a pre-school age(3-5)years, is different from middle childhood(6-9)years. Also the training needs of early teens(13-15) years differs from late teenager (16-19)years. And as such, prepare for both the disturbances and joys they offer;
Proverbs 10: 1. The proverbs of Solomon. A wise son maketh a glad father: but a foolish son is the heaviness of his mother.
3. Learn to let them go and stand on their own as they grow into adults. Most parents still want their children to be tied to their apron even when they are adults enough to make decisions for themselves, they still want to make decisions for them.
Genesis 2: 24. Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.
What then is the biblical parenting?
The biblical parenting is being good stewards of the children God has put under your care as parents.
A parent has the responsibility to care for the spiritual, emotional, and physical well-being of their children. The most important biblical duty of a parent is to teach about Jesus in action and word.
The first responsibility is spiritual responsibility.
Our anchor scripture(Eph.6:4) reveals this. The parents have the role of nurturing the children in the ways of the Lord.
How do you achieve this?
1. In action: this is because children learn faster by observation than talking. Children are smart imitators. You can see that in life of your children as they mimics their father, mother or teachers at school. So what you do as parents in the presence of your children sends a stronger message than your preaching.
Your attitude to life, how you reverence God, give to God, value God by kneeling speaks volumes! Hence God said commit it to heart so that you can behave it in teaching your children
Deuteronomy 6: 6. And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart: 7. And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up.
Remember this: Heaven is real and hell is real. To spend eternity without Jesus is going to be a painful eternity. Give your heart to Jesus today.
Prayer points :
– Father thank you for your word to me today.
– Father help me to raise my children according to your word in Jesus name.
– I prophesy grace to raise godly children in the name of Jesus.
– Your children are bundles of joy, they shall not be a source of sorrow in the name of Jesus
From your brother Alex
God bless you.
TOPIC: BIBLICAL PARENTING